Monday, September 19, 2011

Recipe: Banana Cake

This is a repost of a tumblr post I made in summer 2010. I baked this cake to take to work for my birthday.


BANANA CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE ICING

Mmmmm this cake was so good. It all started last year when my neighbour brought a banana cake with cream cheese icing to work. It was so good and she gave me a HUGE piece. Luckily it was on a Wednesday so I didn’t have to answer to the WW scale for another 6 days.

Since that time, I’ve been obsessed with it and I was lazy in trying to find a recipe. This recipe is my neighbour’s changed-up recipe that was already WW friendly but I changed it a tiny bit more. I changed the oil for applesauce and changed the time to put it in a cake pan instead.

I served it for an early birthday cake for my mom and then took it to my WW meeting last week and shared little pieces with the WW members there. I heard NOTHING but compliments on how moist it was and how yummy, etc. It was amazing and totally made me feel better about my cooking skills… Josh always mocks them lol.
I got the frosting recipe from a WW cookbook we bought this summer.

BANANA CAKE:
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2; cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 c. Splenda
  • 2 medium bananas, mashed (about 1 ½ cups)
  • 1/2 c. egg beaters
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 c. applesauce
  • 3/4 c. fat-free yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
DIRECTIONS:
Mash bananas and dump in mixing bowl. Add in the eggs, vanilla, applesauce and yogurt and mix with a fork until well blended. Add sugar, flour and soda on top and mix it all together. Grease loaf pan (I used calorie free margarine spray). Be sure to grease the sides of the pan as well. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes in a loaf pan or about 30 minutes in a cake pan. I doubled the recipe (2011) and cooked in a lasagna pan. It’s done when a knife poked in comes out clean.

FROSTING:
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 8 oz. package fat-free cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 1/4 c. confectioner’s sugar
  • 1/2 c. fat-free Greek yogurt
  • 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
INSTRUCTIONS:
Using an electric mixer on high speed beat cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar, yogurt and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth, about 1 minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment